Maskne /mask-nee/ : The Struggle is Real
19 January 2022
What caused it?
It is likely a disorder of hair follicle occlusion and directly related to increased duration of mask wear :
- Mechanical stress due to pressure and friction
- Microbiome imbalance due to heat, pH and moisture
- Tropical climates and outdoor exposure (increased sweating) are risk factors for acne-susceptible populations
How to manage?
Special consideration for skin care should include:
- To wash the face 2 times a day with gentle cleansers
- To apply oil-controlling moisturizers
- To avoid strong products with salicylic acid, sulfur, α-hydroxy acids, and retinoids that could predispose to irritant contact dermatitis under occlusion
- To wear light make up or avoid make up
- To visit dermatologist for severe conditions
1. Teo W. Diagnostic and management considerations for “maskne” in the era of COVID-19. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2021;84(2):520-521. 2. Kosasih, L., 2020. MASKNE: Mask-Induced Acne Flare During Coronavirus Disease-19. What is it and How to Manage it?.Open Access Macedonian Journal of Medical Sciences, 8(T1), pp.411-415.Back