1-Day Group Training: Mindful-GYM
18 May 2016
Malaysia's FIRST EVER structured stress reduction & wellness programme that combines ancient wisdom of mindfulness and state-of-the-art research in cognitive behavioral therapy & positive psychology
Customized for the multiethnic Malaysian community and supported by 8 local scientific research, Mindful-GYM the most evidence-based and leading mindfulness program in Malaysia
Dr Phang Cheng Kar (B.Sc., M.D., M.Med.Psych.), Sunway Medical Centre’s Consultant Psychiatrist & Mindfulness-based Therapist can help you respond wisely to stressful situations and happify your life.
|16 JANUARY 2019
|20 FEBRUARY 2019
|20 MARCH 2019
|17 APRIL 2019
|15 MAY 2019
|19 JUNE 2019
|21 AUGUST 2019
|16 OCTOBER 2019
9:00AM - 5:00PM
SunMed Convention Centre, 4th Floor, Tower A, Sunway Medical Centre
The Journey To A Happier & Healthier You Starts HERE & NOW!
- Open to individuals, organisations and SunMed staff
- Limited to 20 pax (acceptance is on first come first served basis)
- RM350 per person (inclusive of lunch, 2 tea breaks & training materials)
- For further information, contact Ms Kalai (+603-7491 6505) or email Dr Phang (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- For further information on the Mindful-GYM program: www.mindfulgymalaysia.com/
Mindfulness has long been practised, and is said to have complementary benefits that include stress reduction, relaxation and improved quality of life. Find out more about how to practise mindfulness to improve your health from Dr Phang Cheng Kar, Consultant Psychiatrist, from Sunway Medical Centre.
What are the content for each program?
Mindful-SUN (Individual Therapy – 4 weeks)
- Session 1: Mindful Stretching & ‘NOW-ing’
- Session 2: Mindful-S.T.O.P. & ‘H.T.C.’
- Session 3: Body Scan & Relaxation
- Session 4: Mindful Breathing & Biofeedback
Mindful-WAY (Individual Therapy – 4 weeks)
- Session 1: Beginner’s Mind & Mindful Eating’
- Session 2: Gratitude Workout (‘Google-WWW-Yahoo’)
- Session 3: Mindful Vitamins: Befriending Challenges
- Session 4: Cultivating Loving-Kindness
Mindful-GYM (Group Training – 1 day)
- ABC of Stress & Happiness
- Mindful Body Stretching
- Mindful Breathing: Deepening the NOW
- Mindfulness, Multitasking & ‘NOW-ing’
- Mindful-S.T.O.P.: Contacting the Present Moment
- Beginner’s Mind, Mindful Photography & Eating
- Gratitude Workout: ‘Google-WWW-Yahoo’
The programs consist of various simple and effective mindfulness-based tools for reducing stress and improving wellness in daily life.
What are the benefits of the programs?
- Relief from stress-related bodily symptoms, e.g. headache, gastric pain.
- Reduce anxiety and depressive symptoms.
- Chronic pain management, e.g. low back and joint pains.
- Enhanced mood, positive emotions and happiness.
- Better sleep, memory and concentration.
- Strengthen emotional resilience and anger management.
- Improved problem solving skills and creativity.
- Better self-compassion and self-confidence.
- Increased energy and productivity.
Any form of physical illness that is often worsen by stress (e.g. hypertension, stroke, coronary heart disease, asthma, irritable bowel syndrome, premenstrual syndrome, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, migraine, etc) will benefit from the mindfulness programs.
I’m suffering from mental illness. Are the programs suitable for me?
Yes. The programs are useful for anxiety and/or depressive disorders. For greater effectiveness, please make an appointment with Dr. Phang to personalize the programs for your needs.
How do the programs differ from MBSR/MBCT?
The programs are tailored for the Malaysian community based on Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction (MBSR) by Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn and colleagues in United States and Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) by Dr. Mark Williams and colleagues in United Kingdom.
Where will the programs be held?
Mindful-SUN & WAY – Dr. Phang’s clinic at Sunway Medical Centre (Room 16, 5th Floor, Tower A). Mindful-GYM – Lady Bird Room, 4th Floor, Tower A, Sunway Medical Centre.
If you wish to bring the programs to your organizations, please contact Dr. Phang (email@example.com)
When can I start attending the programs?
For Mindful-SUN & WAY (individual therapy), kindly contact Dr. Phang’s clinical assistant (Kalai, 03 7491 6505) to schedule an appointment for psychological assessment and personalizing the programs for your needs. After that, for the actual 4 or 8-week sessions, you may choose any combination of day or time in a week (preferably with an interval of about 1 week and not more than 2 weeks between each session).
As for Mindful-GYM, the next group training session is on 20/6 (Wednesday), 18/7 (Wednesday), 15/8 (Wednesday), 19/9 (Wednesday), 17/10 (Wednesday), 28/11 (Wednesday). You can register online HERE.
What if I can’t make it on a scheduled date/time?
You can reschedule your training to another date/time (only if it’s within a month). Cancellation and refund are not allowed.
Are the sessions delivered one-to-one?
For Mindful-SUN & WAY, “Yes” (RM 250 per session); it’s individual therapy. You may also get another 2 persons (total of 3 including yourself) to attend; small-group session (RM 200 per person for each session, instead of RM 250). As for Mindful-GYM, it’s a group training program (not more than 20 participants per group).
Do you conduct the sessions in Chinese or Malay language?
The programs are conducted only in English.
How much do I need to pay for the programs?
Mindful-SUN – RM 250 for each session (RM 1000 for 4 sessions).
Mindful-WAY – RM 250 for each session (RM 1000 for 4 sessions).
Mindful-GYM – RM 350 (inclusive of lunch, 2 tea breaks, & training materials).
*You have to pay in advance for each program.
Can I attend only selected sessions in Mindful-SUN & WAY programs?
No, you must attend all 4 sessions in each program.
Can I attend Mindful-WAY without attending Mindful-SUN?
No, you must complete Mindful-SUN before attending Mindful-WAY.
It’s recommended that you spend some time (e.g. 1 month) practicing the tools taught in Mindful-SUN before attending Mindful-WAY.
Do I get any gifts from the programs?
Yes – iMINDFUL-Gym DVD, Garden of Mindfulness Audio CD, Jom-Lah FIKIR book, 3-Gratitude Card Game, and WhatsApp supported practice. The number of gifts depends on which program you sign up.
Are the programs supported by scientific research?
Yes. The programs are supported by international and local research – HERE. These are the only mindfulness programs in Malaysia that are supported by the Ministry of Health (MySihat) and local research.
Is there a corporate version of the programs?
Yes, we can arrange for half-day, full-day, or two-day ‘rest-shops’ for your employees. You may make an appointment with Dr. Phang (firstname.lastname@example.org) to customize a program for your organizational needs.
I’m too busy to commit to the 4 or 8-week programs? Is there a shorter program?
Yes, you can attend Mindful-GYM which is a 1-day group training program. After that, if needed, you may consider attending the more in-depth individual Mindful-SUN & WAY programs.
How do I know if I’m getting better with the programs?
There’re questionnaires to measure your progress in stress and wellness levels. Biofeedback device (Wild Divine) is also used to objectively demonstrate your ability to relax.
Is there a brochure for the programs?
Yes. You can view the brochure HERE.
- Phang, C. K., Mukhtar, F., Ibrahim, N., Keng, S.-L., & Mohd. Sidik, S. (2015). Effects of a brief mindfulness-based intervention program for stress management among medical students: the Mindful-Gym randomized controlled study. Advances in Health Sciences Education, 20(5), 1115 – 1134.
- Phang, C. K., Mukhtar, F., Ibrahim, N., Keng, S.-L., & Mohd. Sidik, S. (2015). Effects of a DVD-delivered mindfulness-based intervention for stress reduction in medical students: a randomized controlled study. Education in Medicine Journal, 7(3).
- Keng, S-L., Phang, C.K., & Oei, T.P.S. (2015). Effects of a Brief Mindfulness-based Intervention Program on Psychological Symptoms and Well-being among Medical Students in Malaysia: A Controlled Study. International Journal of Cognitive Therapy, 8(4), 335-35o.
- Phang, C. K., Chiang, K. C., Ng, L. O., Keng, S.-L., & Oei, T. P. S. (2016). Effects of Brief Group Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy for Stress Reduction among Medical Students in a Malaysian University. Mindfulness, 7(1), 189-197.
- Hee, K.L, Subramanian, P., Rahmat, N., & Phang, C.K. (2014). The Effect of Mindfulness Training Programme on Reducing Stress and Promoting Well-being among Nurses in Critical Care Units. Australian Journal of Advance Nursing, 31(3), 22–31.